You will be trained to be a professional and employable stylist.
You will study 8 mandatory units:
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- This unit is all about communicating with customers and giving a positive impression whenever dealing with a customer. By doing this you will also be giving a positive impression of your organisation and the customer service it provides..
- Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety
- In this unit you will be provided with the knowledge, understanding and skills to be responsible for health and safety in the workplace.
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Through this unit you will learn the skill of shampooing, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp using a variety of products and massage techniques. Being able to identify the condition of your client’s hair, skin and scalp will determine which products and massage techniques to use. You will develop a sound knowledge of shampooing and conditioning products which will enable you to provide your client with good aftercare advice.
- Change hair colour
- You will learn how to change hair colour using semi-permanent, quasi-permanent, permanent and lightening products. The use of a variety of colouring techniques such as full head, re-growth and highlighting and/or low-lighting effects provide the basis for all hair services at level 2. You must develop the ability to take into account a variety of factors and contra-indications that your client may present with.
- Advise and consult with clients
- In this unit you will learn the art of consultation with your clients, using a variety of methods to clarify their ideas and requirements for hair services. Being able to make suitable suggestions based on a variety of methods such as; open and closed questioning, observation and testing of the hair skin and scalp, will provide the information that you will need on which to base your recommendations.
- Style and finish hair
- You will develop the skill of blow drying, finger drying and finishing techniques on a variety of hair types and lengths. Being able to identify the capability of your clients hair will allow you to choose from a range of products, tools and equipment to complete the look. You will need to demonstrate the ability to use heated styling equipment to finish the service. Part of this service is to provide your client with good aftercare advice.
- Set and dress hair
- In this unit you will develop the skill of setting and dressing techniques on a variety of hair types and lengths. Being able to identify the capability of your clients hair will allow you to choose from a range of products, tools and equipment to complete the look. You will need to demonstrate the ability to use heated styling equipment to finish the service. Part of this service is to provide your client with good aftercare advice.
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- You will learn how to create a variety of basic looks for women using club cutting, freehand and scissor-over-comb techniques. Using these cutting techniques you will demonstrate that you can produce one length hair cuts for both above and below shoulder length, uniform layers and short and long graduation haircuts. You must also demonstrate that you can work on both curly and straight hair. Part of this service is to provide your client with good aftercare advice.
You will also study 1-2 of 6 optional units:
- Salon reception duties
- Display stock to promote sales in a salon
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Wig services
- Perm and neutralise hair
- Provide scalp massage services
You will work in the college's hair salon, a realistic working environment.
- A level 1 hairdressing qualification,
- English and Maths at GCSE grade 1 or above
You should demonstrate knowledge of the hairdressing industry and wish to take up a career as a hairdresser.
Your practical skills in providing hairdressing services will be assessed in a commercial hair salon. You will also need to submit a portfolio of the work you complete during the course as evidence.
Fees and funding placeholder. do not edit or delete.
Tags placeholder. do not edit or delete.