The VTCT Diploma in Hair and Media Make-up (QCF) level 2 is a qualification that has been specifically designed to enable you to learn both aspects of hairdressing and media make-up.
You will study 6 mandatory units:
- The art of dressing hair
- You will learn how to identify the capability of your client’s hair which will allow you to choose from a range of products, tools and equipment to complete the look. You will need to demonstrate the ability to blow dry, set, put up hair and finish your client’s hair using heated styling equipment. You will provide your client with good aftercare advice.
- The art of photographic make-up
- In this unit you will develop creative design skills for photographic make-up. The ability to plan and create different make-up looks is required in this unit. You will also evaluate your results against your agreed design brief. You will need to communicate effectively and be aware of hygiene, health and safety in this unit.
- Apply make-up
- You will provide make-up for a variety of occasions, including day, evening and special occasions. You will be able to work with a variety of skin types and apply a wide range of make-up products to different skin tones and age groups. You will need to maintain effective health, safety and hygiene throughout your work.
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- This unit is about client care and communication in beauty‑related industries. You will develop your communication skills to deal with consultations, complaints, client comfort and all forms of client care. You will develop a client‑centred approach to all your treatments.
- Follow health and safety practice in the salon
- The aim of this unit is to increase your understanding of health and safety and its importance in the salon in which you work. You will develop the ability to carry out a simple risk analysis, recognise a hazard, responsibly deal with the hazards you have found and follow safe and hygienic working practices. You will also need to be able to locate fire fighting equipment, first aid resources and have an awareness of fire, emergency and evacuation procedures.
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- You will develop the creative skill of using both hairdressing and beauty techniques to create an image based on a theme. You will research media images, plan and develop your ideas to create a mood board which you will then present to others. You will then re-create the image you have developed using technical hair and beauty skills. You will base your image on a theme and present your image to an invited audience. You must pay close attention to manufacturer’s instructions for products, timing and safety whilst working.
You will also study 4-9 of 17 optional units, including:
- Colour hair using temporary colour
- Provide eyelash and brow treatments
- Apply skin tanning techniques
- Provide eyelash perming
- Nail art application
- Plaiting and twisting hair
- Make and style a hair addition
Underpinning this qualification you will develop a sound knowledge and understanding of each unit including health and safety for all services.
The purpose of this qualification is to develop your skills in both hairdressing and media make-up to a high level of occupational ability, to enable you to perform your own salon services.
GCSE English at grade 3 or above and Maths at grade 2 or above
You should demonstrate knowledge of the hairdressing and beauty therapy industries and wish to take up a career as a hairdresser or make-up artist.
Your practical skills will be assessed in a commercial hair salon.
You will also need to submit a portfolio of the work you complete during the course as evidence.
Fees and funding placeholder. do not edit or delete.
Tags placeholder. do not edit or delete.