You will study 5 mandatory units:
- Team management skills for retail
- You will explore what makes an effective team, what your own leadership style is and the possible impact this may have on team management. You will be required to demonstrate your team management skills in at least one Fashion Retail context.
- Understanding factors influencing the retail environment
- You will assess how external and internal influences on retail outlets can impact on continued success. You will also examine how the response of the manager of a retail outlet to these factors can influence an outlet’s success.
- Planning and developing ranges for retail
- You will identify and access appropriate data to inform planning of the range and you will explore the sales planning process. You are required to use typical sector specific software.
- Designing visual merchandising displays for retail
- Working to a specific brief you will develop the knowledge and skills to research and plan window displays and develop an in-store concept.
- Project skills for retail development
- You will gain project planning and development skills to develop solutions to problems within a Retail context. You will evaluate how ideas evolve in response to the professional context. You will need to combine knowledge and understanding of many aspects of the fashion retail environment.
You will also study 4-6 of the following optional units:
- Developing retail brands
- Promotional activities in retail
- Styling retail customers
- Creating digital image presentations for retail
- Understanding the evolution of retail
- Preparing for personal progression in retail
- In-store visual merchandising for successful retail
- Understanding security and loss prevention in retail
- Understanding the management of stock in retail
- Understanding how the effectiveness of store operations can be improved
These are supported by a work experience placement which is used for your assignments.
A final major project also enables you to study your chosen field of interest in depth.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs with the following grades:
- English at 4 or above and Maths at 3 or above, and
- three other GCSEs at 4 or above
As this is a vocational course there are no formal examinations. You will be assessed through a combination of exciting, stimulating and industry relevant tasks.
If you are 18, you will be able to progress directly to university. If you are aged 17 please be aware you will not be able to progress straight to university due to age restrictions, so it is recommended that you move onto the Subsidiary Diploma in Business
Kirklees College offers a wide range of foundation and degree programmes that provide excellent employer links, variety and value for money delivered by vocational experts, including
If you wish to enter employment within the retail industry you could join at junior management level in areas such as:
- visual merchandising
- stylist or buyer
- strategic planner
- PR and marketing
- research and development
Fees & Funding
If you’re a full time student under the age of 19 you will not usually need to pay any course or examination fees. Students aged 19+ should contact the information office for fee information, tel: 01484 437070.
You may need to pay some costs for this course, including USB stick, stationery, and a £30 facility charge for printing. Help may be available for students in financial difficulty. Contact student support services, tel: 0500 162100.
Tags placeholder. do not edit or delete.