A full teaching qualification for lifelong learning, for those wanting to teach in further, higher and adult education, also within the 14+ school sector. Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be eligible to proceed, following a process of professional formation through the Society for Education and Training, to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status. This is the full professional status for teachers in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
The course leads to an award from the University of Huddersfield.
You will spend your time on the course planning and designing learning materials, assessing students and evaluating learning and teaching and studying professional issues in education and training.
Year 1 modules:
- Research Informed Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Becoming a Subject Specialist Teacher
Year 2 modules:
- Being a Subject Specialist Teacher (there is a requirement of 2 days' attendance at a Specialist Conference, normally held at Queensgate Campus, University of Huddersfield, as part of this module)
- Policy and Professional Issue
Are you interested in a career or want to upskill in teaching?
We offer several courses that can help you achieve your goal.
Boost your chances of a career in teaching (lifelong learning) or upskill with a professional course at Kirklees College.
- A UK first degree or equivalent (2:ii or above) and relevant work experience in the subject field, and
- you must also hold qualifications at NVQ level 3-4 in the subject area you teach, if this is different from your degree.
You will have an initial assessment to indicate that you are working at level 2 in English and maths.
Applicants must normally be in paid employment as a teacher or trainer, with a minimum of 150 hours experience with at least 50 in any one year, in a recognised training or educational establishment. Voluntary teaching may be allowed in certain circumstances.
In addition you must also:
- provide confirmation of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- provide one satisfactory reference
- complete a satisfactory interview
- identify a work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism
To join: You will need to complete and submit a part time application form
Assessment is through assignments, completion of a teaching log and observation of teaching.
Fees & Funding
£3,585 per year
Tags placeholder. do not edit or delete.