GCSE Biology

A good qualification for those considering a career in health or applied sciences.

Course Menu

Attendance

Part-time

Level

2

Duration

1 Year

When

September 2018

18:00-20:30

Thursday

Overview

GCSE Biology is a subject which should be of value to all those interested in studying the nature of living things, their environment and their survival in it.

You may have studied dual or single award science or biology and need to achieve a higher grade to move onto your next qualification.

Biology is a core science subject. It will be of a particular interest if you are studying other science subjects and hoping to continue your studies at a higher level.

GCSE Biology follows the AQA syllabus.
The course covers a wide range of biological topics based on the following themes:

  • Life processes and organisation of living things,
  • Variation, inheritance and evolution,
  • Living things and environment,
  • Movement and patterns of feeding,
  • Micro-organisms, disease and applied microbiology.

Entry Requirements

This evening course is offered to adults aged 19+.

 

To join: You will need to attend a part-time enrolment session at the main Huddersfield Waterfront Quarter site. Dates and times are as follows:

  • Wednesday 28th August (any time from 12:00-19:00)
  • Thursday 29th August (any time from 17:00-19:00)
  • Friday 30th August (any time from 10:00-13:00)

Please make sure to bring with you some photo ID, proof of address and a method of payment. You are not expected to pay for the course in full upon enrolling – you can arrange to pay in monthly instalments to be completed by the end of the course in June.

Assessment Methods

The assessment involves a summer external examination worth 80 per cent of the marks. The remaining 20 per cent of marks are awarded for course work which is of a practical nature and is carried out in the college. This part of the course is compulsory.

 

Progression

Course progression placeholder. do not edit or delete.

This qualification could be used to gain entry into Science subjects such as the BTEC National Diploma in Science or Forensic Science. It would also be useful for those students wishing to study health studies, sports studies, health and social care, nursery nurses, animal care or primary teaching. It could also be used to enter A-level Biology.

Fees & Funding

Tuition Fee: £600

Exam Fee: £45

Apply

For more information on applying for this course please see the Apply page.

Send a message

Contact us online and we'll get back to you.

Phone us

01484 437070

Course basket

  • Nothing in your applications basket.

Tags placeholder. do not edit or delete.

Kirklees College