What is CELTA?
Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) is one of the world’s foremost initial qualifications for people who wish to
become professional teachers of English language.
The CELTA programme gives you a good base to enter employment. Candidates with CELTA have already completed the first stage of DTE(E)LLS.
What does the course cover?
- A minimum of 120 hours of in class instruction;
- a minimum of six hours of practice teaching with classes of foreign students;
- expert critiquing and discussion of all supervised practice lessons;
- six hours of observation of ESOL/EFL classes given by experienced teachers.
You will study 5 main topics:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- This topic includes: understanding the cultural and linguistic backgrounds of learners, and how this might affect their learning of English as well as understanding different learning styles and preferences.
- Language analysis and awareness
- This topic includes understanding key terminology used in English language teaching, applying this terminology in planning and teaching as well as demonstrating a working knowledge of English grammar, lexis and phonology.
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- This topic includes understanding basic concepts and terminology used for describing reading, listening, speaking and writing skills, applying this to teaching as well as understanding how approaches to texts may vary depending on the purpose, making practical use of this in teaching.
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- This topic includes: understanding the purpose and principles of planning for effective teaching, selecting and planning the kinds of lessons that are most appropriate for particular learners and evaluating lesson preparation and reflecting on this for planning future lessons.
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
- This topic includes effectively organising the classroom, both in terms of layout and pair/group activities, making appropriate use of a range of materials and resources and involving learners of different ability levels, enabling them to feel a sense of progress.
Candidates for the course must:
- be at least 18 years old
- have a good standard of education – 2 A levels and 3 GCSEs or equivalent
- have a command of English, both written and spoken, that enables them to follow the course and complete the assignments
Assessment is continuous during the course, with assignment and observation of teaching.
Course progression placeholder. do not edit or delete.
Candidates who successfully complete the course will get the CELTA.
CELTA is an international TEFL training and certification programme. It is accepted throughout the world by organisations which employ English language teachers.
Candidates who also complete two additional assignments will gain the PTLLS in ESOL which is a first step for teaching ESOL in the UK.
Fees & Funding
Tuition:£1,260, Exam: £166 plus £157 registration fee Total: £1,583
Funding is available for the course through Advanced Learner Loans. Most residents in the UK aged 19+ qualify for the loan, eligibility does not depend on income and there are no credit checks. Loans have to be repaid when the individual has both completed the course and is earning a specified amount (currently £21,000 p.a.).
Tags placeholder. do not edit or delete.