Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives the public a general right of access to information held by public authorities, including colleges.
Kirklees College has adopted the Model Publication Scheme and definition document provided by the Information Commissioner's Office for colleges of Further Education.
The college is obliged to respond in writing within 20 working days to specific requests from any individual. You can expect the college, in its response, to:
State whether it holds the type of information requested and, if so then, subject to certain exemptions (including Data Protection legislation), communicate it to you.
You may make a request for information regarding Kirklees College by letter, fax or email by contacting:
Karen Marshall, PA to the Principal and Chief Executive
New North Road
Tel: 01484 437001
Fax: 01484 420753
The Model Publication Scheme provides a list of the information routinely published by colleges, which the ICO expects them to make available unless:
- They do not hold the information
- The information is exempt under one of the FOI exemptions or Environmental Information Regulations (EIRs) exceptions, or its release is prohibited under another statute
- The information is archived, out of date or otherwise inaccessible; or it would be impractical or resource-intensive to prepare the material for routine release.
The Model Publication Scheme and definition document for Further Education Colleges can be downloaded by following the links from www.ico.gov.uk
Information to be made available by the college
The information colleges routinely publish falls into the following categories - these have been determined by the ICO:
- Who we are and what we do
- What we spend and how we spend it
- What our priorities are and how we are doing
- How we make our decisions
- Our policies and procedures
- Lists and registers
- The services we offer
Charges for information
The College may make a reasonable charge for information which is not available on its website, Where a charge is to be made this will be identified.
General information on the Freedom of Information Act and the Model Publication Scheme can be obtained from:
The Information Commissioner
or via website: www.ico.gov.uk